Sunday, July 13, 2014

Technology in Education Philosophy ED 7730

Throughout my teaching career I have written my educational philosophy multiple times.  The most recent was last summer when I began my 6th year program in Instructional Technology and Digital Media Literacy (IT&DML).  As I looked back on my previous philosophies, I realized that I never addressed the use of technology in classrooms.  The materials in my IT&DML courses have opened my eyes for the need to address the use of technology in today’s classroom.  Therefore, I am again rewriting my philosophy with a primary focus of technology in education.
Elizabeth Ferry’s Technology in Education Philosophy
According to John Dewey, education is acquired through the experience of the learner and the teacher.  If the teacher has experiences that can enhance the students' learning, they should use those experiences in their classroom.  In addition, teachers should provide students with tools that are available for them to have new experiences.
Technology allows teachers to introduce students to experiences otherwise not possible in a traditional classroom.  There are skills which students should master in order to be competitive in the 21st Century workforce, such as critical thinking, problem solving, and collaboration.  These skills can be introduced by teachers with the use of technology in and outside of the classroom.  
Advances in technology allow students today to receive information quicker than ever before.  Technology can be used to differentiate instruction, conduct assessments, and provide feedback to students and teachers almost immediately.  With the use of technology, teachers can give their students a learning experience which will prepare them for the 21st Century while giving them skills that they can use in the real world.
Teachers are responsible for preparing their students for the future.  Technology is one aspect of society that continually changes and improves.  Teachers need to be on the forefront of these changes in order to effectively prepare their students to be successful citizens and contributors to the 21st Century.


The following video was created by Daniel Nemroff for the 2014 White House Film Festival. It provides a glimpse into what a future classroom might look like with the use of technology. The video demonstrates the need for teachers to begin thinking about what role technology will play in their classrooms.




No comments:

Post a Comment