Sunday, January 5, 2014

ED 722 - 11 Random Facts IT&DML - Elizabeth Ferry

Here are my answers for the 11 random facts that will hopefully allow you to get to know me better.  As I was thinking about my answers to these questions, I realized that I usually tell my students a lot of random facts about me throughout the school year.  I even have other teachers ask me if things are true that the students tell them about me.  So I guess you can say that my students know me better than my fellow teachers know me.  Now you too can have a glimpse into my life.
1.  What is your favorite movie? - The Untouchables
2.  Where are you right now? - Sitting on my couch in my living room and trying to stop my son from deleting this post!
3.  What is the best vacation you've ever taken? -  Walt Disney World 2010 with my wonderful husband.  Disney for just adults is awesome!
4.  Can you play a musical instrument? - The recorder  (Like every other 3rd grader!)  Seriously though, no but I wish I could play the guitar, piano, or violin.
5.  What is on your bucket list? - To visit every MLB stadium.
6.  What is the best advice you can give to your children? - Never give up and never let anyone tell you that you cannot do something.
7.  What is your favorite quote? - "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine
8.  What is the scariest thing you’ve ever done? - Become a parent.  Everyday I pray I can be half the parent my parents were for me.  They gave me the most amazing childhood and I hope to do the same for my son.
9.  What are 3 things that matter to you? - God, Family, Country
10.  When did you know what you wanted to do for a Career? How did you discover that?  - While serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, I had the opportunity to sit in meetings with college presidents from a variety of well respected colleges and universities.  I listened to them speak of the low number of inner city students who were graduating high school and who were barely able to meet the minimum academic requirements for their institutions.  They talked about the number of scholarships that are wasted each year because there are not enough qualified applicants to receive the funds.  I knew then at the age of 22 that I wanted to complete my military service and become a math teacher for city students.  After I completed my five year commitment, I completed the summer Alternate Route to Certification program through the Connecticut Department of Education and received my teaching certification for Middle School Mathematics.  It is my goal to provide the best education possible for my students and help them be eligible for all of the opportunities that exist for them.
11.  How do you want to be remembered? - For making a difference in someone's life.


No comments:

Post a Comment