Friday, August 2, 2013

What we can do as curators....Glogster style!

As I was completing my readings and watching the YouTube videos from this week's assignments, the discussions about all of us being curators really made me think of my role as an educator.  My students have such a wide variety of resources available to them to help with lessons and content information.  After they leave my classroom and go home to complete homework, they can search on the Internet for extra help on some of the problems.  This of course is wonderful that there are a number of resources available for our students, but how can I as an educator help them determine which resource is the best?

Glogster is one website that I find very interesting for curating information for my students.  If you are not familiar with Glogster, I would highly recommend checking it out.  Of course if you are like me, I think I played with it for four hours straight one night, so be careful!

I want to create resources for my students so that when they go home to do their homework they can immediately go to my website to find a list of resources or videos that could be helpful for the topic we are covering in class.  I like Glogster, because as a curator, I can filter the information that my students use as resources.  This filtering idea comes from Steven Rosenbaum's speech from 2011.

What I want to be able to do is find a topic that my students are studying and compile resources in one area so it is easy for them to find the help.  I don't want them simply going into Google and typing in the topic, because it can be very overwhelming.  If I can filter out information and guide them to what I feel are the best resources on the web for them, then they will spend less time figuring out which websites are better than others.

To test out Glogster, I picked the topic of Pythagorean Theorem.  I went onto YouTube and found videos showing examples of the Pythagorean Theorem and a little history on the topic.  Unfortunately I did not have any videos of my own, but for future topics I plan on including at least one video of myself showing an example of the topic.  I think this will help the students remember the class discussion on the topic.

Here is an example of my Pythagorean Theorem Glogster:  Pythagorean Theorem Ferry

I also think that Glogster will be helpful for students to create their own projects too.  I can offer extra credit to students for completing a Glogster project for review topics before tests and then those projects can be used by other students as well.  In addition, this website could be great for other subject areas such as Language Arts and History.  Teachers can assign students a specific character or historical figure and they can create a resume for that individual.  This will encourage students to be curators and it will help them learn the topic in a new and creative way.  Also, if I or another teacher does not cover the topic in a way the student can easily understand it, maybe another Glogster project or video can help the students better understand the information.

No comments:

Post a Comment